pages

DOW: Stinger

>> Friday, February 4, 2011

Ever since I saw my first production of Company, by George Furth and the legendary Stephen Sondheim, and heard the showstopping song "The Ladies Who Lunch," sung by the fabulous Elaine Stritch, I have been intrigued by the Stinger cocktail.

There seem to be a lot of different ratios out there for this drink, but I settled on 3 to 1.

The classic Stinger calls for brandy.

  • 1.5 oz brandy
  • 0.5 oz white crème de menthe
A Vodka Stinger, as mentioned in the song, substitutes vodka for brandy, of course.
  • 1.5 oz vodka
  • 0.5 oz white crème de menthe
To prepare, add both ingredients to ice in a cocktail shaker. Shake and strain into a cocktail glass.

Since it is impossible to buy white creme de menthe in British Columbia, we had to make do with green crème de menthe. Supposedly, white and green crème de menthe taste the same. When I have the opportunity to taste for myself, I'll let you know.

Traditionally, the Stinger is an after-dinner drink, but sometimes rules are meant to be broken. I'll drink to that.

0 comments:

Post a Comment